Retirees that are still using their GT Mailbox for GT business may keep their mailbox once they retire. The retiree will need to annually attest that they are still using this resource for GT business to maintain this service.
Otherwise, Retirees are eligible and should transition their Email Address to the "Email Forwarding for Life" service. You can do this through Passport (https://passport.gatech.edu). Make a backup of your GT Mailbox if you wish to keep a copy for personal reasons before transitioning to Email Forwarding for Life.
Once your Retirement paperwork is filed with OHR, you will have 30 days to attest to needing continual use of your mailbox or to transition to Email Forwarding for Life. You will start to receive email notices when your 30 day countdown has begun. Notices are sent out to your email account 30, 15, 7, and 1 day(s) before the mailbox is no longer available. At the end of the 30 day period if you have not switched to Email Forwarding for Life, your mailbox will be removed, and mail to your email addresses will start to bounce.
For more information on the Email Forwarding for Life policy, please see the Policy Library: http://www.policylibrary.gatech.edu/information-technology/email-life
How do I attest to using my mailbox for GT business?
Please forward your expiration notice to firstname.lastname@example.org and attest that you are still using this resource for GT business.
How do I switch to Email Forwarding for Life?
- First identify where you would like to start receiving your GT email. Most individuals already have a personal Gmail or Outlook.com mail account that they would like to use. If you do not already have one, please visit the email provider of your choice to setup an account.
- If you wish to keep a copy of your GT mailbox or of specific messages, please either forward those messages to your personal email address or use a utility noted below to download a full copy.
- Log in to Passport (https://passport.gatech.edu), and select Email Preferences on the left.
- Scroll down to the Email Destination setting and type in your personal email address (gmail.com, Yahoo, Outlook.com, etc) in the destination field.
- Click Change.
- All of your GT email moving forward will be delivered to this destination and your GT mailbox will be removed.
Please open your email client of choice (Outlook, Thunderbird, Mac Mail, etc).
- If you do not have one, Thunderbird is free and can be obtained here: https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/
- Setup your email client to connect to your Office 365 mailbox.
Common Items You'll Need:
- Username: email@example.com where gtaccount is your gtaccount, i.e. firstname.lastname@example.org
- IMAP Server: outlook.office365.com Port: 993 Using SSL
- SMTP Server: smtp.office365.com Port 587 Using TLS
- Most mail clients once setup have an Export or Archive utility
- For Outlook: It's under File -> Import/Export (Source: https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Export-or-backup-email-contacts-and-calendar-to-an-Outlook-pst-file-14252b52-3075-4e9b-be4e-ff9ef1068f91)
- For Thunderbird: It's in your Tools -> Account Settings -> Copies & Folders (Source: http://kb.mozillazine.org/Archiving_your_e-mail)
- For Mac Mail: It's under Mailbox -> Archive Mailbox (Source: http://email.about.com/od/macosxmailtips/qt/How-To-Export-Mac-Os-X-Mail-Messages-And-Folders-To-Mbox-Files.htm)