How do I install the Cisco AnyConnect Client on Linux?
For a complete description of this service and it's features, please click here.
**Cisco has only certified the AnyConnect client for Linux on Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5 Desktop and Ubuntu 9.x. It may work on other releases. Please let us know if you find that it works on a different release and what you had to do to make it work.
1. Open a web browser and go to. You will then be re-directed to a login page. The url will be different.
2. Enter the same username and password that you use to log into Buzzport or Techworks.
3. Your next screen will be our welcome banner. Click "Continue".
4. The client will now begin the installation process:
5. At this point, it has been our experience that we need to do a manual client download and install. If the client downloads and installs successfully, continue to STEP 9. Otherwise, the following screen will pop up. Click on the "Linux i386" link in order to manually download the Cisco AnyConnect client.
6. The following screen should pop up. Click "Save file".
****Note: In some browsers, it may not prompt you to save this file, it will simply display the script as a text file in your browser. In this event, click "Back" on your browser and right mouse click on the link and choose "Save Link As."
7. Another window should pop up to show that the file has downloaded.
8. Once you have downloaded the file, open up a terminal window and navigate to the directory that contains the vpnsetup.sh file. Make sure the script is executable. To do this, type:
chmod 755 vpnsetup.sh
You will need administrative rights to install the VPN client. In Ubuntu, just type:
You may need to use the "su" command in other Linux distributions to get administrative rights.
Once you start the setup you should see something like below:
Installing Cisco AnyConnect VPN Client ... Extracting installation files to /tmp/vpn.H6QP7o/vpninst443132940.tgz... Unarchiving installation files to /tmp/vpn.H6QP7o... Starting the VPN agent... Done!
9. In order to open the AnyConnect client, click on Applications -> Internet -> Cisco AnyConnect Client.
10. The following window should appear. Type anyc.vpn.gatech.edu in the open field.
11. The group Gatech will be auto populated. Enter your username and password.
12. Our banner will appear. Click "Accept" if you agree to the terms.
13. The AnyConnect icon will appear on the top right menu bar. Click on the icon for more information. Note that this is the older icon that is showed in the image below. The new ICON is to the right o the image.
14. If you want to see connection information, click on the "Statistics" tab.
15. If you would like to disconnect, click on the "Connection" tab and then the "Disconnect" button.
Feel free to submit a request for help for any of the following reasons: