Don't have any options to forward your email? Being moved to the Hosted Exchange service? You have questions, we have answers!
You may have a forwarding restriction on your mailbox because one of the following 2 criteria:
1. You work with or are listed on a Technology Control Plan that handles Export Control or Classified data;
2. Your department prohibits external forwarding.
More information on Data Handling and Classifications:
GA Tech offers two email services for our faculty, staff, and students:
- Office 365 Outlook (for most users)
- On-Premises Outlook (for individuals with a security clearance)
It is noted in Institute Policy:
Data Users must use official Georgia Tech email services when emailing Category III data. Using third party email/storage services (e.g. Gmail/Google Drive, Outlook.com, Yahoo Mail, and non-GT Office 365 account) to send or store Category III data is prohibited.
Email Data Protection Policy:
Employee Email Forwarding
Most users of the Microsoft Office 365 central email service are allowed to systematically forward their email to third party email service providers. Users that have Category III or Category IV data as described in the GIT OIT Data Security Classification Handbook may not systematically forward their email to third party email service providers. Individuals who work on Sponsored research, Export Controlled research, or research with access or dissemination controls, or have access to Proprietary data, or data under a non-disclosure agreement (NDA), or users within some home departments may not systematically forward their email to third party email service provider. Georgia Tech employees who have their email in the on-premises Microsoft Exchange hosted with Georgia Tech Research Institute will not be allowed to systematically forward their Georgia Tech email to third party email service providers (e.g. Gmail, Yahoo! Mail, Outlook.com). Georgia Tech Research Institute employees with permission from their Lab Director may systematically forward their email to a third party email service provider if none of the above restrictions apply.
- You can still use IMAP to check your email in your favorite email client: Eudora, Thunderbird, Mac Mail, etc.
- You can change your From email address in PassPort. It's your published address.
- You will still receive email for ALL your GT email addresses. They will all be delivered to your Office 365 or Hosted Exchange mailbox.
- If you are using Office 365 Outlook, you can still connect with your mobile device.
Common, sometimes overlooked, examples of Category III data include:
- Data/information marked with any of the following: For Official Use Only (FOUO), Official Use Only (OUO), Controlled Unclassified Information (CUI), Limited Distribution, or Proprietary
- Research Data (including research data on Human or Animal subject, Biochemical or DURC)
- Personally identifiable information (PII)
- Data under a Non-Disclosure Agreement (NDA) or Proprietary Information Agreement (PIA)
- Export Controlled data
- Technology Licensing and Invention Disclosure Information
- Intellectual Property Information Owned by the Institute
- Active Library Circulation Records
- Security Camera Recordings
- Chematix Chemical Tracking System
- Building HVAC Monitoring/Control Data
- BuzzCard System, Continuum System, Building Safety Plans
- Student Records Excluding Directory Information
- Financial Aid and Grant Application Information
- Login Passwords
- Individual Benefits Elections
- Social Security Numbers (SSN) (faculty, staff and students)
- Credit card numbers
If you are experiencing any difficulties with your email or have additional questions, please reach out to your local CSR or to firstname.lastname@example.org.