What is E-mail Forwarding for Life?
E-mail Forwarding for Life is an e-mail delivery service provided by Georgia Tech. This service allows eligible users to keep their Georgia Tech e-mail address (firstname.lastname@example.org) after they have left Georgia Tech. You will not be provided with a Georgia Tech mailbox nor a web interface to send and recieve e-mail. Your Georgia Tech email address will simply be an email address that delivers email to a valid third party, personal, e-mail address.
To change the name or forwarding address for a "@gatech.edu" email address, use PassPort. You will be able to access Passport with your original GT username and password.
Next, in order for you to deliver email to your personal email address, you would need to login to: http://passport.gatech.edu
****NOTE: It appears that the passport system can't handle "tagged" email address in Gmail that contain a plus sign (e.g., email@example.com). When emails are forwarded to a direct email address, it works fine.
Process After the Start of Fall 2014:
1. Once you are logged in, click on the "Email Address" link on the left hand side, under the "Email" section.
2. Next click on the radio button next to "External Email Address" and type in your personal email address.
3. Click "Set Email Preferences".
4. A verification email will be sent to this new address. Please click the link in that email to finalize the change.
Process Before Fall 2014:
1) Once you are logged in, click on the "Email Aliases" link on the left hand side, under the "Email" section.
2) Next, click on the button labeled "Change your alias settings". On the next page you will also see this note at the top of the page:
NOTE: You may only change your alias name once a semester. When you make a change, your old alias will continue to function for 30 days or until the end of the current semester, and is then deleted. Once it is deleted, it will be unavailable for one year. This delay in deletion gives you time to update all of your contacts since you will now have a new email address and your old one will be gone.
3) Under "Email alias" you'll see your current email alias. Under the "Forward email sent to this address to:" you will see a few options one of which will be "Another email address:"
4) Enter in your desired forward address and choose if you want to keep a copy of the emails that you receive at GT (Also keep a copy at firstname.lastname@example.org).
That's it........your "@gatech.edu" email should now be forwarded to the email address that you just entered.
For more information on Email for Life please click here.
Feel free to submit a request for help for any of the following reasons: