Note: This will only install the VPN client software, and not the Start Before Logon component which some campus units require. To install the full version of the windows client that includes Start Before Logon, please visit our Sharepoint site which contains many stand-alone installer packages. Once you have the AnyConnect client installed on your machine, future automatic software updates will add the Start Before Logon package if it is missing.
Note: There is a bug that affects users who launch AnyConnect via the command line interface. The Current Campus Release, 4.6.01103, contains a bug that will prevent a user who is running Windows 10 1803 from successfully connecting when launched via the command line. Details can be found at Cisco's website. A workaround is to install version 4.6.02074 by connecting to dev.vpn.gatech.edu rather than anyc.vpn.gatech.edu or visiting our Sharepoint site which contains many stand-alone installer packages. This version will be moved to production and deployed to campus after a validation period. The GUI is not affected by this bug.
Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client install using Microsoft Edge web browser:
1) Launch the Edge web browser from the Start menu or the taskbar
2) In the destination field, enter https://anyc.vpn.gatech.edu
3) In the "Group:" drop-down menu, click on the arrows to the right and select the "gatech-2fa-Duo", then enter your Username and Password:
4) After successful authentication, you see our login banner:
5) You will be presented with the following screen. Click on the Download for Windows link to download the software from the VPN appliance. You can also click on the Instructions link to view generic installation instructions, though we recommend that you continue to follow this FAQ for more specific installation instructions.
6) Run the installer from the Downloads bar:
7) Follow through with the installer's instructions:
8) You may see a User Access Control warning, click Yes to continue install.
9) Click 'Finish' to complete install.
10) Launch the Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client from the Start Menu:
11) In the Ready to Connect window, enter anyc.vpn.gatech.edu as the server name and click Connect:
12) Next, the credential pop-up will appear. In the "Group:" drop-down menu, click on the arrows to the right and select the "gatech-2fa-Duo".
Once you have selected gatech-2fa-Duo from the group pulldown, you should have three fields. Username, Password, and Second Password. Enter your GT Username in the Username field and GT password in the Password field. In the Second Password field, please enter one of the following (without the quotes), then click the "OK" button:
- The code generated by the Duo Mobile app. This is the code that you get by hitting the "key" on the upper right side of the app.
- "phone", "phone2", "phone3"....... "phoneN".
Note: There is no "phone1" since "phone" and "phone1" both reference the first phone number you entered into the system. The phone number list is directly related to the order in which you setup your various phones in the Duo system. "phone" will call your 1st phone (likely your cell) and "phone2" will call your office or which ever secondary phone number you entered at the time your Duo Account was configured etc.
13) Click Accept on the welcome banner:
14) The AnyConnect icon will be minimized in the system tray in the lower right hand corner:
15) Click on the icon to maximize the AnyConnect application. Click on the Gear icon in the lower left to view details.
16) To disconnect from the VPN, click Disconnect.